First things first: How do we get our Internet?
- There are some smaller and much more expensive ''private companies'', they take the Internet from LTT!
- And the much more expensive satellite companies (more than a year's salary just to get you going! And it's not that great!)
- One of the two main networks in Libya provides internet (the other just stopped and no one asked why) and it's slow and expensive (one gigabyte = 150 LYD)! *Update: They added special pricing packages as of the end of February 2016, and now 500MB cost 12.5 LYD.
- GPTC stands for the general post and communications released CDMA in 2008 which promises to deliver up to 230KB/S. And forgot to assign user names and passwords. Everyone uses the same user name and password! It was stopped long ago!
How is it really like?
What I think is the real reason for slow Internet
- Some people think the Internet is not necessary. And that it's just a way to spend time watching videos and chatting. So it's useless. Sadly this mentality is the decision maker's mentality. That the Internet is a luxury not everyone should have access to it.
- Other officials think that the Internet is a security breach and the people should be denied access for the sake of security! One of the prime examples is when the regime disconnected the Internet for 5 months during the 2011 uprising. Thinking that would stop the people organizing demonstrations and uploading videos. Taking Internet censorship to a whole new level (think North Korea with oil!).
What does the future hold?
P.S: This is an opinion piece, Only what I think.